Friday, July 9, 2010

A Lovely Drive in the Country

Today I went for a drive northwest of here with a friend. The countryside was more mountainous than down here on the plain. It was beautiful. The vegetation became thicker and the trees taller. The land also changed and became more rugged with cliffs on the face of some of the mountains. We mostly let the TomTom guide us through the countryside and it did a pretty good job.

The towns along the way looked quite different from ones down lower. Even though the elevation is not very high it apparently gets quite a bit of snow in the winter.

Unfortunately my camera's battery ran out of juice and I couldn't get even one picture. This is very odd as I charged the battery two days ago so I am a bit bewildered. Hopefully I just didn't charge it properly and it will fine now that I am recharging it as I type this.

We found a delightful little restaurant perched over a river with big fish swimming in it. It was very casual. The waiter, host, and possibly chef was dressed in shorts and a tee shirt making one expect that the food would be very casual as well. Not the case at all - it was wonderful. I had a charcuterie with salad, trout with a beautiful sauce on it, and for dessert a sort of yogurt thing with a sweet chestnut concoction on top. We also tried the recommended house, homemade, appertif which was a sparkling white wine with some chestnut flavoring. It was delicious.

It was a lovely day.

Early tomorrow morning I leave by train for Paris where I will meet my friend, MaryAnn Wolcott. We'll be there through Bastille Day which should be an experience. Hopefully this train ride will be less stressful than the one I had getting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment