Friday, September 23, 2011

When there are planes in the sky over Abeilhan - there's a fire

The weather now feels like Indian summer in Southern California. Cool in the morning and at night and quite warm mid-day. The humidity feels very low. Yesterday there was a strong easterly wind. Around 2 pm I thought - this feels like wildfire weather. At 5:30 pm I heard planes flying over my house and knew immediately that they were on their way to a wildfire.





I drove following the smoke as I was curious to see how the pompiers here handle the wildfires which seem to be quite common. This is the fifth one I've seen (last year and this year).





The fire was two villages away from Abeilhan - just north of Roujan. I was very impressed with the air attack. There must have been at least 10 small planes and one large air tanker. Unfortunately I just missed the air tanker for pictures. The smaller planes were approaching the fire like crop dusters. With all the air traffic I could only imagine what complicated direction it took to keep them from running into each other. Don't know whether they use the incident command system here but they obviously are doing something right. It looked like they got the fire under control pretty quickly.





















The summer tourist mobs are gone. On Tuesday I was in Pezenas mid-day and it was beautiful without the crowds and in the autumn light. This is the main square which is mobbed in summer.







I am not usually a travel shopper. I learned long ago that it is just too much of a drag hauling stuff along with you and shipping is complicated AND expensive. However, I've made exceptions to my rule with the ceramics made by the artist at the right. She makes beautiful fruites and vegetables. Last year I bought some eggplants and figs and display plates. I fell in love with the lamps she makes and ordered two that are rose bouquets. I picked them up Tuesday and mailed them on Wednesday. They are due for delivery in San Francisco today. I have my fingers crossed they will be intact. I packed them really, really carefully so hopefully......




Main square in Pezenas sans people!















A typical Pezenas shop. These buildings are old village houses which have a courtyard inside. Very pretty.














No comments:

Post a Comment