Sunday, September 11, 2011

Return to Santander


I took a side trip into the mountains on the way back to Santander. This cave and pool at the source of a river was definitely a "destination" a lot of tour buses.


The countryside was unbelievably green. Here is a very happy cow.







"Mary's House" inside the cove.










View from my room at Santander








On the way back to Santander I drove into the hills and up a way into the mountains. It was a beautiful drive. Lush green fields and very rural. Notice how green it is and it is the end of summer here! I came to a small town with a whole lot of people milling about and many tour buses. You had to park quite a way from the “attraction” but there was a very nice shaded path along the river. The “attraction” was a pool of water coming out of the mountain with a “house” created on the cliff. It was identified as “Mary’s House” so I’m sure that some sort of miracle probably occurred here.




We arrived back at the very luxurious hotel in Santander. I decided that I really should swim in the Atlantic at least once on this trip so I walked down to the beach. The first beach is smaller than the long El Sandinero. I ventured in even though I thought the significant shore break didn’t look so good (especially since I’ve grown so accustomed to the gentle Mediterranean). My timing couldn’t have been worse – the first wave to hit me was the biggest of the set and it completely knocked me on my ass hurting my pride more than anything else. So I waded in the surf some and then got out and walked down the to the El Sandinero which was much nicer. I went further into the water but it just isn’t as nice as swimming in the Med. I walked back to the hotel and showered – there was a whole lot of course sand in the tub!


11 pm update: I went down to the same beach for a walk at sunset. The waves were very calm and people were leisurely swimming beyond the small breakers. Obviously went I went in must have been as the tide was coming in. However, I think I’ll stick to the Med and swimming pools for the rest of my time in Europe this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment