Sunday, September 11, 2011

Basque Country Drive and San Sebastian

I left this morning from Santander heading to San Sebastian for 2 nights of relaxation before heading back to Perpignon.

I decided to avoid the toll roads and drive the country roads so I could see more of the countryside. After Bilboa on highway 634 I noticed that at the entrance and exit of each little town there were two police stationed. This seemed a bit odd as they weren’t pulling anyone over and it didn’t seem to be a high security issue. I also noticed that there were more bicyclists than usual and looking more professional than the usual bicyclists you see riding on the road. It dawned on me that maybe this was actually a leg of the Tour de Espana. As I drove along I didn’t really see anyone clearly hanging out on the roadside.

I stopped for awhile and saw an official car go by. I also noticed some pretty professional photographers picking out their spots. I back traced a little and stopped where a dad and his two bicycle future racers had stopped. Unfortunately it was hot as blazes 31 Centrigrade according to my car. I asked the bicycle dad how long till the pelletan and he said 1.5 hours. The Dad was able to tell me that this section of the race was right before they head up the face of the mountains. It was just too hot for me and Angel. I went ahead and backtracked along #634 hoping to meet up with the race but no luck. Then I got on the freeway and came to San Sebastian.

Too bad I should have waited for the race. I checked the Tour de Spain website and learned that this is the first time in many years that the race is passing through Basque country as there had been problems in the past with terroist threats. No doubt it is a big deal now to have the race pass through it.

It wasn't easy finding my hotel as it is on top of a mountain that rises from the sea just south of the town.
View from the hotel looking toward San Sebastian.







Pony ride at the "theme park adjacent to the hotel.



Front of hotel - you can't tell there is an amusement park right here.














Looking down the coast from hotel. It is overcast today. Remainds me of the weather in San Diego in May or June.









Back of the hotel. You can sort of see the amusement park - tacky.























San Sebastian pretty place.

























Shopping street San Sebastian.

















Old town.




















Group of soccer fans. Every so often the joy would join arms, do a dance, and chant.











I got to San Sebastian and located my hotel which is up on the “mountain” above the beach. The hotel is a bit weird very modern but on top of what was obviously an old castle at some point. Even weirder it is adjacent to a kiddie them park. I was feeling pretty depressed about this until I learned that there is a funicular which will take me down to the San Sebastian beach right below my hotel.


I had a so so dinner at the hotel and was heading out to take Angel for her evening constitutional. Two rather large blonde ladies were on the elevator with us. Hearing them speak to each other I said “Ruskies”. And they replied “Ruskies”. We had a great conversation – they are from Moscow. “ I loved Moscow on my recent trip there. No I didn’t have my dog with me. I was surprised at how beautiful Moscow is. The shopping center next to Red Square is very beautiful. Etc. Etc. They are here on holiday in France. They love to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment