Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Walk on the Wild Side

My friend Deb, who lives in Bize Minevois, invited me to tag along on the "walk" that a group of mostly French people from around her village do regularly.  They go on organized walks in various places around the Minervois.  Of course in typical French fashion following the walk they picnic on delicious food and wine

We met behind the post office in Bize and I was surprised at the size of the group - maybe 25 - and Deb said this was a small turnout.  Everyone was very friendly and energetic.  I also learned that France is a "small world".  Bize is quite some distance from Abeilhan (takes about 40 minutes to drive there).  One woman in the group, upon learning that I am staying in Abeilhan, told me her grandmother lived there.  A man then said that he is from Alignan du Vent which is the village next to Abeilhan.  Also in the group were three Americans, a couple who moved here from Berkeley and her uncle who is visiting from New Mexico and grew up in east San Diego County at the same time I did in west San Diego County.

We drove to the beginning and ending point of the walk on some pretty rough roads - in the USA - we would call them 4-wheel drive roads but here no problem you just drive your regular cars and they do just fine.

It was a beautiful sunny day without a cloud in the sky.  The walk began and ended on a pretty high hill with an even higher point above us with a cross on top.  Where we parked was shaded with plenty of open space for picnicing later.



Off we go


The paths we walked on were pretty cobbely.  You could walk too quickly because of it - would be really easy to badly twist an ankle.  I also soon learned that I needed a hat and water - neither of which I had brought.  The temperature climbed to I think high 80s or even 90.  Most of the time we were in the sun.


A very old well in a tiny village
I also soon learned this wasn't like a stroll of a walk.  I think "hike" is a better term.  It actually felt great but I did wish I hadn't left my bottle of water in Deb's car.


Wild mint

Deb and Bill check out the view
 



The countryside was really beautiful.  Along the way we helped ourselves to some of the grapes still on the vines.

The walk organizer had charted our path the previous day and marked it with red ribbons tied on trees now and then.  Once we got off track but only briefly.



Shadow tags along
 Terry and Bonnie's maltese/yorkie mix, Shadow, came along. She did really well. If I'd brought Angel, I would have been carrying her.







At the end of the walk, the leader invited the willing to climb to the top.  It was a real scramble and steep over rolks and through brambly bushes.

We made it and the view was worth it!

View from the Top
And then we scrambled back down and enjoyed a lovely picnic.  It was a great day.  I hope they do another "walk" while Sybil and I are still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment