Thursday, September 29, 2011

Local Wine Tasting




Yesterday my neighbor John took me to a winery right here in Abeilhan to wine taste.  There are many wineries in the area and a couple right here in my village (and of course the local coop).  This particular one is right around the corner from my house.  I've walked and driven past this place countless times last year and this year.  Who knew?????   The wine was absolutely excellent.  The winery is:
Domaine Saint Georges d'Ibry

This is a really busy time for the winemakers as the harvest is still on.  The winemaker/owner, Michel, and his MaryAnn, his wife, did a personal wine tasting for us.  The winery and vineyards have been in Michel's family for several generations.  Sadly he is pretty sure his only child, a son, doesn't want to continue it as he wants to be a pharmacist.  So at some future time Michel will probably sell it (though he is still quite young so it will probably be quite some time from now).

Michel was very generous with both his wine and his time.  He produces quite a few varieties of wines and I think we sampled almost all of them progressing through sauvignon, vionier, chardonay, and the on to the reds.  The reds were really interesting.  There was a very fruity light bodied red that is good served cold - a nice change from the rose here.  Then an excellent full bodied red named, appropriately, Excellence.  There were several wines that he makes that weren't available as they are already sold out.  We also tasted some nice dessert type whites - never my favorite - but one that I really did like that was not very sweet and I could imagine it paired with a "cheese course" of goat cheese with some honey on it.

Unfortunately he doesn't export any of his wines - doesn't need to and it costs too much.  I may try to bring home a couple bottles in my suitecase (I just mailed home some of my stuff so there just might be room).  I will certainly remember this winery and when I return will definitely pick some wine up during my next stay here (even if I have to drive some distance).

No comments:

Post a Comment