Sunday, October 4, 2009

Well now I am going to get started




My niece, Laura, helped me set up this blog before I went to Kenya last spring. I never did get going with it. Now I am refocused having retired from my full time job and fully enjoying my life.




The last few years were very tough. My husband, John, and I had a great life together. We had a great life together with friends and family and fully enjoyed our life living in San Francisco. We shared common interests in such things as theater, the music scene, exploring the back country, and sharing good food and wine with friends. Then in 2003 John was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor - the same kind that Ted Kennedy had. After surgery John was a trooper - went home the day after surgery, returned to work (physician), and carried on bravely. Unfortunately the treatment of the tumor (which did give him over 5 years of survival) left him with deficits making it impossible for him to continue working or driving. Despite this we had a pretty good life for 4 1/2 years when the tumor returned. After that surgery the course was downhill and he lost his valiant battle on Novemer 18, 2008.


The picture above was taken 1 year after John's first surgery during a trip to the East Coast.

I miss John very much and think of him every day. He told me to live the rest of my life any way I wanted to and so that is what I am doing. One of the things that we loved to do together was travel. Last March I took a safari to Kenya. It was wonderful - never thought I would see anything like it. I am posting a few pictures below.





No comments:

Post a Comment