Thursday, November 19, 2009

November 18 and 19 - Corbiere Languedoc

November 18 – 19 – Ornasions – Corbiere Region
I’ve had two pretty quiet days. Tom & Toni left yesterday. I dropped them off at the Perpignan Airport at 2 pm. The airport was so small I thought we must be at the commuter terminal and that there must be a second terminal for commercial planes. Wrong…. This was the one and only terminal.
I spent the rest of my day/evening reflecting on stuff – this trip, the past year, the past 6 years (that’s when John was diagnosed and had first surgery), and the future. Everything was actually good. No need to go into detail here.
Today I drove to Montpellier to make arrangements to bring car back there instead of Perpignan (as it is much closer) and checked out the town a bit. It is big (that is very big for Languedoc Region of France). The downtown plaza is definitely a “happening” place. I found a nice hotel within an easy walk from train station (downhill) so it will be easy to go there from hotel with luggage. I will stay there on the 27th and then take train on 28th to Barcelona and then fly home on the 29th.
I actually love driving the rental car. Neither Michael or Tom wanted any help driving (it’s a “guy” thing) so yesterday was my first time driving on this trip. I love the car – it is a stick shift Skoda diesel and has tons of power. I must admit I really enjoyed doing high speeds on the Peage (French for freeway). I drove also on small roads and through several towns with very narrow streets. I did fine – no dents/bumps and never let the motor die. Now I’ll have to adjust back to an automatic when I get home.
Tonight I will be joined by part of the Wernert clan (Kay, Tony, Gretchen, Derek). Kay is John’s cousin and Tony is her husband. Gretchen one of their five grown children and Derek is Gretchen’s husband. Kay & Tony, and their children and grandchildren, are part of my extended family. Kay & Tony live in San Francisco and have been a big part of John’s and my life. The rest of clan (except Jeremy) will be spending the next week here in the South of France. We’ve rented a big house in the country in the village of Pellisane. It’s going to be a great Thanksgiving!!! We converge on the rental property at 4 pm tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. The quiet time sounds wonderful. A nice prelude to more company and a lively Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let Gretchen and Derek know that it's raining here in Portland...just in case they were worried about the lawn or something.
    Loving the blog Barbara. Your next career in travel writing awaits!

    ReplyDelete