Wednesday, November 18, 2009

November 17 - Abeilhan

November 17th – The Abeilhan House
A few months ago I decided to advertize my San Francisco Home on a website for house exchange. I already had this current trip planned. I posted my home on the website pretty hurriedly and didn’t include much info other than it has a great view of the city and a nice garden. One of the early “hits” I got was from a couple who are from San Jose but now live in the South of France full time. The husband works at UCSF a few months of the year and they were interested in my house for 2 months next summer. They came and saw my house in September and decided that they wanted to swap with me. I tentatively agreed and since I was going to be in their “neighborhood” on this trip I went to check their place. Sharon, and her husband Mel, live in Albeilhan, a small village in the middle of the wine country – closest sizable town is Pezenas (spelled wrong probably). Sharon invited us to come for lunch today.
We drove to Abeilhan without much trouble. It is a small village and their home is on the main road and is pretty old and very quaint. We had a lovely lunch, great food, and even better conversation with Sharon, Mel, and their friend Gerard. The house is perfect for me and I am hoping that I will have lots of company there. The beach is 30 minutes away, there are wineries everywhere, and the location is really ideal. The house comes with two dogs and a car. I am hoping to bring Angel with me – pretty sure at this point. Sharon was a wonderful hostess – we had fish soup, a beautiful salad, quiche, and dessert tart – pastis and delicious local wine. We had a great time and lots of laughs. They assured me that there is a lot going on there in the summer and I think it will be great.
After lunch we drove to a winery they recommended and I loaded up on some wine for Thanksgiving week with the Wernert clan.
This evening was the last with Tom & Toni. They head back home tomorrow. We had some serious and very good conversation about the trip overall and reflected on the past year – tomorrow is the first anniversary of John’s death. It has been wonderful to be able to share with them so many places that John and I loved – made it possible for me to return here. Had I tried to do this alone it would have been just too hard. I am so glad that they found the places as beautiful as John & I did. We made some toasts to John, shed a few tears, and there was some good closure in that. I miss John and always will but life does go on and in a way he has come on the trip with me.

1 comment:

  1. A bitter sweet ending to this part of your trip. Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

    ReplyDelete