Saturday, November 28, 2009

Last Day in Europe

November 28th

Saturday, November 28th – Time to head home
I spent last night in Montpellier which will be the closest big city to where my exchange house will be next summer. It feels more vibrant than the other cities I’ve visited in Southern France (e.g., Nimes, Arles, Avignon, Nice). It is bigger for one thing but it also feels like there is a lot going on and the people seem more lively. I may have only gotten this impression because I stayed in a small hotel near the “Comedy” plaza which is huge and has many cafes and throngs of people. There was a huge Christmas tree made out of lights and Christmas lights strung across the narrow streets. There was a Languedoc wine festival going on. Many, many booths representing at least 75 (maybe more) wineries. They were offering tastings for a few Euros but it appeared you needed to already have a glass. I couldn’t figure out exactly how that worked – I think maybe you needed to buy a ticket to the event to get one. Anyway I was alone and due to my inability to speak French I wouldn’t have been able to communicate with the winery staff – “Oooh la la this wine is excellent” “I’d prefer to try the red please” etc. So I just wandered around the booths and looked at the names of the various wineries thinking maybe I could remember some of them when I get home – wrong – can’t remember one.
I also went to the Museum of Languedoc. It is close to the plaza in a huge old house that from the front you would have no idea that a mansion was inside. It is probable that there are many mansions hiding inside these modest fronts. Any the museum seemed to be primarily featuring artifacts from the Roman period in this region. I say seemed to be as there was nothing available (in the brochure, in the labels on various exhibits, in the film) in anything but French. However it was a, statuary, jewelry, and a few mosaics.
After the museum I checked out the shopping since this is where I’d likely go next summer if I needed something upscale – not very likely since I plan to mainly hangout in the village or make day trips and its going to be pretty warm.
I went to bed early since my train to Barcelona was scheduled for 7:26 am. I left the hotel at 6:30 am and walked to the train station which was only a few blocks away. Train stations here appear to have more security than airports. There were a number of uniformed military with machine guns walking around as well as a security guard with a very serious looking Rottweiler which he held tightly on a short leash.
I had an espresso at the station while I waited for my train’s gate to be posted. The gates are listed by letters A – G. When my train posted on the board no letter appeared – instead it was a picture of a bus. This was very puzzling. I couldn’t find anyone who both 1) spoke English, and 2) knew what the bus picture meant. I located the information desk which was well hidden and pretty crowded. The man at the desk indicated that he spoke English but wouldn’t talk to me until he finished with several others. I was getting anxious as my train was due to leave in 15 minutes. When it was my turn I told him I needed to know what the bus picture meant. He looked like he didn’t understand me. I hand him my ticket and said “where is my gare.” He checked on his computer and then explained in French which, of course, I didn’t understand. I was able to get – the bus is outside the station and to the left. I walked to the front of the station, still dragging my very heavy suitcase and wearing my almost as heavy backpack. No bus there and no one to ask. So I kept walking, I am a little familiar with this area as I have visited the this train station parking lot quite a few times as this is where I turned in my rental car. I found what looked like a city bus and asked the driver if this was my bus? At this point I expected that for some reason the bus was needed to transport us to the train. The driver said no and using sign language indicated that I should walk under the bridge and turn right.
After I walked under the bridge I saw a group of people standing near several buses from various private bus companies. I found a couple people who spoke English – thank heavens. Yes one of these was my bus going to Espana – all the way. There is some sort of strike going on in France (a fairly common occurrence) and it appears that all the international trains are taking passengers by bus. The trip to Barcelona will take about 5 hours. There are no bathroom facilities and I am definitely wishing I’d eaten something with my espresso. Oh well – at least I am glad that I took the early “train” so I will get to Barcelona in the afternoon.
What have a I learned from this (the train/bus experience and the malfunctioning ticket on the Peage experience)? I will definitely learn at least rudimentary French before I come back for the summer!!
I arrived ok in Barcelona at 2 pm. They put us on a real train in Figueres and then it was a “milk run” type of train with very frequent stops. There was no food/drink on the train so when I got to Barcelona I was pretty hungry and thirsty.
I settled into my room quickly at the same hotel I stayed in when I arrived 6+ weeks ago. It is definitely Christmas season here – in the square by my hotel there are many booths set up selling tree decorartions, Chresh (sp?) scenes, etc. Christmas music everywhere. Pretty nice but I am definitely ready to head home. It will be a quiet night for me and then to the airport mid day.
I plan to write a final post on the plane and then that is it. I have enjoyed doing the blog – even if it is just for me.

2 comments:

  1. We've been following you all the way Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed reading your post and look forward to next summer.
    Safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete