Monday, August 8, 2011

An Unexpected Running of the Bulls

I had nothing particular planned for the day. The weather was a bit cool for going to the beach. So I decided to go for a drive to someplace new. I checked out a website that has great info about various Languedoc places and things to do. One thing it gives is the most scenic towns. There were a few that I haven't seen yet, I selected Uzes which is east of Montpellier - for no particular reason - it said it was very pretty, old, and had good shopping. The drive there was beautiful - very Van Gogh - see the pretty sunflowers. This area is where he spent the last several year of his life. You can almost see what he saw - and captured in his art.

As I got to Uzes it looked pretty crowded but I quickly found a parking place where someone just left. I could tell the roads were blocked off - I figured it must be market day in the town.



































There was a big crowd and temporary barriers around a large square. A person could easily pass through the barriers. There were a lot of people in the center of the square many were standing on a raised platform. There was a lot excitement in the air. I knew something was about to happen, I just didn't know what. I got my camera ready even though I didn't know what I would be taking a picture of. Then suddenly the crowd grew silent and still. I heard hoof beats and then here came a group of horses with gauchos and they were running fast around the square and then around the corner onto what appeeared to be a main street.

Since other people were now passing though the barriers into the square, I picked up Angel and quickly went across and onto the platform. I thought this must be some sort of a horse race event. After about 10 minutes, again the crowd grew silent and here came another group of horses. This time I was able to see that there were several bulls herded by the horses. As they came around the square the group (horses and bulls picked up speed). In the rear of them ran teenage boys right behind the bulls. The crowd now followed them down the main street - so Angel and I did too.





They are a little hard to see but past the crowd here come the gauchos, horses and bulls.















These pictures aren't very good but I'm surpised I got anything.







Here they come!













The band in green.















After the bull run there were two bands taking turns playing great bullfight sort of music in front of the city hall.



And then there was some sort of ceremony where the gauchos and their horses came into the center of the street and formed a long line while announcements were made. It was quite a sight!





















As you can see I was really close to the horses!






The town was really rather upscale and quaint at the same time. The write up online said it had some of the best shopping in Languedoc. However, after seeing all the festivities I wasn't much in the mood to shop. This shop got my attention - it had all type of truffle goodies - but I passed it up.






This is a pretty square with a lot of good looking restaurants. It was nice and shady.










I headed home taking backroads only. It was a beautiful drive and a different countryside than the more western side of Languedoc.


No comments:

Post a Comment