Monday, August 15, 2011

Domaine des Trinites and Jardin Saint Adrien







Summer brings interesting weather here. Yesterday was very hot and muggy. This weather pattern produces electrical storms in the late after which is what happened yesterday. I watched the storm approaching (on the right). It hit pretty had with major lightning and thunder. Then it rained for a couple of hours. Nice and clear today.


Yesterday I visited Jardin Saint Adrien which is very near here. Last year I saw signs for it but never figured out exactly where it was - turns out it is outside the very next village to me. After several people told me it was a "must see" I went yesterday afternoon.


It is the creation of a local man who constructed it from a deserted quarry from the middle ages. He diverted a stream into it so it has many pools, fountains, and reflection. He has also made a number of beautiful sculptures. Although it is very different, in some ways it reminded me of Monet's Giverny.


The man who created the place lives with his wife in this house on the site. It looks like a perfect place to live. Since the garden is only open a few hours several days a week they have plenty of privace to enjoy this magical place.












Lots of pretty flowers as pools and sculptures.


I love this sleeping water maiden.

















There are a number of wierd wooden "people" througout like this fisherman.



It is 10 hectars in size.










There is an amphitheater and a big stage. They must have concerts here. This day music was recorded and there was an interesting variety ranging from Jacque Brell to Chris Botti.


This woman just couldn't help herself. She took to the stage and entertained her friends.










There were also these emus (related to the ostrich) and peacocks in cages.




























Last Friday night Vol and I attended a winery dinner catered by Ken and Alison. It was a Domaine des Trinites in Roquessels - near Faugier (sp?). I had been there last year as well. It was a lovely setting with a view that looks all the way to Sete.





Appertifs with a lovely rose. Dinner was on the newly tiled deck (actually not quite finished - they worked all day on it).

Dinner was delicious. Wines were excellent.














Company was also excellent. Here are our tablemates. Made some new friends.













The evening was beautiful Perfect temperature and the sunset looked like an impressionist painting.


The very next day there was a wildfire not far from this location. I saw the planes carrying water to it flying over Abeilhan the following afternoon.








This is the Saturday market in Pezenas. It is a BIG market.


Hard to see but this shows a large pan with paella cooking. There is a huge variety of the stuff - chicken, seafood, mixte, etc.









A local musician and his sun play the market with old timey French tunes.


















This vendor sells great stuff - tampades of all colors, fresh marinated anchois (anchovies) -
which are unbelievably yummy, grilled octupus, etc.













Pouissons.



They do of course have wonderful fruits and vegetables but I was busy buying those so I didn't get any pictures.







Saturday night I went to a local event with my French neighbors. It was a pitanque (sp?)tournament which is like bacchi ball. Mostly though it was mostly a get together to visit with friends, eat, drink, and dance. I had a great time doing all those things. I didn't want to take any pictures and look like the tourist I am.


As it was I had to pretty much get by with sign language and more horrid french and a little Spani sh. There were only two people who spoke English in my group. I also chatted with the Mayor who speaks good English.


Everyone was very friendly and I had some great "conversations". Everyone had heard of San Francisco and they'd love to go there. One young man was a 49er fan and we "talked" about Joe Montana. The woman sitting next to me was very fun and said she never "touched" an American before. Most everyone there are natives of the village and many are from families that have "always" lived here.


There was some discussion bemoaning the growth of the village and changing way of life here (with supermarkets etc).


After dinner there was a dj playing mostly rock and roll. At first the only dancers were a couple of 10 year old girls. However before long lots of people were dancing (solo and couples). We danced for hours and had so much fun. I couldn't believe when I looked at my watch it was 1 am. I left and walked home. I think the party went on for some time after that!




















































1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful property and cool that they open it to the public.
    Looks like you're having fun!
    Jake

    ReplyDelete