Monday, August 23, 2010

Nice is Nice

Chagall Angels

Tony by one of the many fountains

Nice at night


Cote d'Azur

Cote d'Azur

Nice is Nice with Marianne & Tony

For our overnight adventure we drove to Nice. On the way there we drove through Cannes and along the Cote d’Azur. This is such an unbelievably beautiful – turquoise and dark blue water, red cliffs, many boats, and huge yachts. Although it was a long drive it was definitely worth it. We stopped at a little store and purchased our picnic lunch. The food wasn’t great but the view and company were wonderful.

In Nice we stayed at the Holiday Inn and I had the best hotel room I think I’ve ever had in France. Everything at the hotel was great and its location was perfect very close to the main part of town and the beach. After we arrived Tony and I went down to the beach for a swim. We were prepared with our water shoes and I remembered that the beach was all rocks. What I wasn’t prepared for was that there was some surf which makes the water get very, very deep fast. That is great for getting in but not for getting out. I was knocked down about 5 times trying to climb out. Tony didn’t even try to come in. The color of the water at Nice is really beautiful. It is almost a cloudy turquoise color.

We walked though the busy pedestrian streets to a large place with beautiful fountains. Then we had dinner in an Italian seafood restaurant which was very good. Nice is equally French and Italian.

In the morning Tony and I went to the Chagall Museum which was GREAT. I don’t usually take pictures in museums but I had to for this one. The final highlight was a documentary film with old footage of the Jews leaving Russia, Chagall and his fellow artists who escaped to New York during the second world war, etc. It was one of the best museums I’ve ever visited. It was also an invigorating walk which we definitely needed.

Then we drove a short distance to Menton and had a wonderful swim and lunch. Drove home and arrived at 9:30 pm. A long drive but great two days on the Cote d’Azur. Yes Nice is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment