Saturday, September 11, 2010

Final days in Abeilhan

Goodbye dear Abeilhan - see you next summer.

Sue and I in Minerve

Bicycling on Canal du Midi


Sue and Angel at Lac Salugu - it was cold!

Sue and I returned to Abeilhan on September 5th. I was recovering from a very nasty cold/flu that hit me just as I arrived in Barcelona. Unfortunately I “gave” it to Sue and it hit her just as we were returning to Abeilhan. I found my camera upon my return – it had been in the rear compartment of my suitcase so I had it with me the whole time we were in Barcelona. Too bad I missed out on taking pictures of that beautiful city. I’ll just have to go back.

Returning to Abeilhan was wonderful but the weather definitely had changed to autumn. Too cold to go to the beach to swim. Besides Sue wasn’t feeling up to it due to having the flu. We managed to have a good time anyway – drove to Lake Salugu which I wanted to see. The water level was low and it was definitely winter-like there.

One day we drove to Minerve and saw the “dolman” again. We went to Pezenas several times. I took her to Sete and to Cap d’Agde to see my favorite beach. All the way around it felt like summer was over and it was time to head back to the USA. My last day in Abeilhan we took a (longer than planned on) walk from Abeilhan to Espondeilhan to Pouzolles. It didn’t look that far on the map but it took quite a long time and it gave me a blister on my foot. It was beautiful walking along the road besides the vineyards and interesting to watch the grape harvest underway. However, it was pretty unnerving having huge farm equipment and trucks zipping by us at high speeds on the narrow road. We decided to try and hitch a ride home to Abeilhan from Pouzolles and did so successfully. A very nice Scottish fellow stopped and picked us up. We had a nice chat with him and when he dropped us off he said, “I’ve done my good deed for the day.” Question: Were we like a boyscout helping two old ladies across the street?

I picked up Sharon and Mel at the Montpellier Airport (my house exchange partners). We spent a nice evening with them and Mel drove us to the Bezier train station the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment